Now don't get me wrong, we still plan on celebrating the 4th this week. Who said it can't be a week long celebration? JP has Wednesday-Friday off before heading off to London Saturday, so we have to do something fun! Our neighbors are having people over Tuesday evening and my mom has offered to have a sleepover party with Chloe, so we're looking forward to a kid free celebration. This party is BYOB and BYOD...bring your own dessert! Dessert happens to be my specialty and I love being able to create something with a theme. Enter Patriotic Cookie Pizza.
It's easy, it's delicious, and it's super American! I made this for a Memorial Day gathering this year and pretty much every year for the 4th! Today I'm sharing just how easy this is with y'all. There are lots of different cookie pizza recipes out there and I've tried a few different ones. This one is my go to these days, and it is definitely the easiest.
- 1 roll (16.5oz) of sugar cookie dough
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 12" cookie sheet and make sure it is completely coated for easy cookie pizza removal.
- Press sugar cookie dough evenly onto cookie sheet. Make sure it isn't pressed too thin!
- Bake 12-16 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Spread mixture over cooled cookie. Add blueberries and sliced strawberries in the pattern above to create the American flag!
- Refrigerate your creation for at least an hour. Longer won't hurt, so leave it in until it's time to serve!
You can serve your cookie pizza straight from the cookie pan or you can carefully transfer to another serving dish. I prefer to transfer and cut the edges to make it more rectangular.
Many cookie pizzas call for a glaze to go over the fruit. Some use apple jelly, others use a lemon/orange juice mixture. I've tried these in the past and have come to the conclusion that it tastes just as good and looks better without the glaze! Feel free to create a tasty glaze to add to your pizza if you're feeing creative.
I'm looking forward to making this easy and tasty treat again for our 4th celebration on the 3rd! If you're trying to figure out something to bring to a gathering this week, this patriotic cookie pizza may be just the thing for you too!
What are your go to foods for 4th of July celebrations?